Planting and gardening in indoors sounds cool and contributing to a good cause like Purification of air are better, but does planting indoors really contribute to the Purification of air or making the air quality even better????
So, Studies by the Scientists at NASA Pennsylvania State University, the University of Georgia and other respected institutions suggest that it can.
YES ,planting indoors do contribute in making the quality of the air much better.
Plants are notorious for absorbing gases through pores on the surface of their leaves. It is the skill that facilitates photosynthesis, the process by which plants invest in the development of fuels by converting light energy and carbon dioxide into chemical energy.
Listed Below are Some Indoor plants which are basically Helps in improving the Quality of the Air and also breaks down the Harmful pollutants.
Scientific Name – Sansevieria trifasciata
Watering – Once Every 10-15 Days
- Snake plants help filter indoor air. Their ability to remove toxic air pollutants is what they are most famous for.
- And With their ability to absorb and remove harmful toxins, snake plants can also cater as a very effective defense against airborne allergens.
- This quality makes it an ideal plant for indoor decoration as it can help regulate healthy airflow.
- The thing which is different in these plants is that it is one of those rare plants that can convert carbon dioxide (CO2) to oxygen at night.
- Although small in contribution, snake plants can absorb cancer-causing pollutants, including CO2, benzene, formaldehyde, xylene, and toluene.
Scientific Name – Aloe barbadensis miller
Watering – Once Every 10-15 Day
- An aloe plant is also a great source of purification of the air; even an aloe plant is far much better than any air purifier.
- It is likely to be said that this plant purifies the air and makes the quality of air better which is equal to 9 or more air purifiers.
- Aloe plants not only make the quality of air better but also contribute to absorbing the dust particles in the air eliminating the harmful microbes or microorganisms.
- It also has the ability to remove 90% of the formaldehyde in the air when kept in a room under 24-hour light irradiation.
- Aloe Vera plant is also different in the aspect that it uses CAM pathway to exchange air with its environment i.e the exchange of air is more active during the night. It more actively absorbs CO2 at night and releases oxygen when exposed to light again.
Scientific Name – Chlorophytum comosum
Watering – Every 5-10 Days
- NASA Places Spider plants among the top of those plants that are basically best for removing formaldehyde, carbon monoxide, and other toxins or impurities.
- Not only are they good for the purpose of purification of air but also they are very easy to be managed and maintained.
- Also, spider plants are very easily grown again. Spider plants are incredibly easy to grow, but blossom in the colder temperatures of the home, and also they prefer dry soil.
- Bright indirect sunlight makes them the best growing.
- Spider Plants help to vanish the airborne pollutants and also are helpful in removing the bad odors making them a perfect choice for the places producing a strong smell.
Scientific Name – Spathiphyllum
Watering – Every 5-10 Days
- Peace Lilies are a fabulous choice for Planting indoors as they are more appealing in nature not only this quality but also the quality of purifying the air makes it more attractive to approach.
- Although it is a very easy task to look after these plants still their Leaves need to be taken care of as they can be toxic in nature.
- When it comes to the purification of air Peace lily is one of the best choices as the place occupied with Peace Lilies has cleaner air and healthier inhabitants.
- The reason behind this is very Simple that it Breaks down the toxic gases and neutralizes them.
Scientific Name – Ficus elastica
Watering – Every 5-10 Day
- According to NASA Study, Rubber Plants Remove toxic Volatile Organic Compounds(VOC)s.
- Rubber Plants are very well known for their property of producing maximum oxygen. That is these plants produce lots and lots of oxygen more than any other plant.
- Not only does it produce a vast amount of oxygen also it eliminates or cuts off the harmful and toxic gases present in the air or the airborne pollutants and successfully removes the Bacteria present in the air.
- Not only its properties but also its appearance is what makes it more attractive. The thick and glossy green leaves are hard to deny, and it only needs just a little care.
Scientific Name – Dypsis lutescens
Watering – Every 4-5 Days
- Areca Palm is the Topmost Very best air purifying plant accordion to the Study by NASA .
- It is one of the most effective air purifying plants according to the Study. Not only does it purify the air but also increases the attraction centre of the house when planted indoors.
- This is the most demanded plant as it needs less Maintenance and is much easier to grow.
- Areca Palm is a natural cooler that can remove xylene and toluene from the atmosphere.
- This Plants Releases oxygen Day and Night.and also remove pollutants such as formaldehyde, benzene and carbon monoxide from the air.
Scientific Name – Nephrolepis exaltata
Watering – Every 1-2 Days
- Boston fern act as the boosting factor of the quality of air where they are kept and taken care of.
- This plant is indeed one of the best indoor plants used to improve the air quality in the surroundings. Though it helps to remove the pollutants from the air like xylene, toluene, benzene, and others, in addition to it, this is most effective and best at removing formaldehyde.
- This fern improves the air beyond simply enriching it with oxygen.
- This evergreen plant not only removes harmful toxins from the air but also improves the humidity by restoring or helping to restore the moisture to the air and also naturally.
Scientific Name – Aglaonema
Watering – Every 8-10 Days
- Chinese evergreen is one of the best air purifiers, mostly well known to clean out formaldehyde and benzene from the air in our home.
- Chinese evergreen plants are again a very maintenance plant and need very little care as compared to the other plants; that is the reason why these plants are addressed to be perfect for beginners in planting indoors.
- These plants should not be led under direct sunlight as sunlight exposure for a long time can result in the damage of the leaves of this plant and also to its effectiveness
Scientific Name – Epipremnum aureum
Watering – Every 5 -10 Days
- This plant is recommended as the best air purifying plant by NASA’s Clean Air Study for its air purifying attributes.
- Devil’s Ivy is very effective in cutting down the harmful pollutants from the air and makes the air quality better.
- Not only does it makes you feel fresh by purifying the air but also catches the eye by its defined beauty and makes the home look attractive when kept indoors.
- Devil’s Ivy cleans out the toxins from the air and makes the air more fit to breathe in.
- This Plant is named Devil’s Ivy because it is almost impossible to kill, and hence it is also considered to be an Ideal plant for making the air quality better.
Scientific Name – Ficus benjamina
Watering – Every 10-15 Days
- Weeping fig is considered to be one of the best plants for removing harmful toxins from the air
- It can successfully and more efficiently remove the toxins like formaldehyde, benzene, and trichloroethylene from the air and makes the air quality Better.
- As Weeping fig purifies the air more effectively it is also counted under the top 7 air purifying plants.
- These can be easily grown indoors just with slight care in indirect sunlight reaching them
- This plant likes stability and hence sheds its leaves if constantly moved from one place to the other.
So, provided above were the most effective Air purifying plants that help in cleaning the harmful airborne toxins that are present in our homes.
Planting these green friends in your home will not only make your house look more attractive but also will make your livelihood easier.
Polluted Air that you Breathe may result in common problems like Headache and other. Problems relating to breathing are very common and hence to reduce the birth of such problems, it becomes a necessity to inhale good quality air.
These indoor Plants will successfully absorb all the harmful gases through their leaves and roots, and the soil will neutralize the Volatile organic compounds.
I hope this section will be helpful for you.
Thank you for being with us. Have a good day
For more updates, stay tuned!